When I was 40, I had the great blessing of becoming Grandma Debbie. At the time I was still raising my own kids. My daughters Jae and Robyn were only seven and four when Kirstie, my first granddaughter, was born. But having almost overlapping families added to the fun! As of October 2012, Dave and I have been blessed with 14 grandkids. They are ~ Kirstie(1994) ~ Nic(1994) ~ Kyle(1996) ~ Christopher(1999) ~ Josh(1999) ~ Ethan(2005) ~ Owen(2007) ~ Shelby(2009) ~ Jaxon(2009) ~ Ezekiel(2010) ~ Braden(2010)~ MacKenzie(2012)~ Quinn(2012)~ Cannon(2012) We’re pretty sure there will be a few more. Jae & Sean are just getting started and Robyn & Andrew are biding their time. Another blessing ~ I get to spend a lot of time with my grandkids. Most live in my hometown and the others are just a few hours away. I’d like to share my adventures as Grandma Debbie here and maybe you can share your adventures, too. I’m always up for learning new ways to have fun with the kids!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Can You Have it All?


It has to be hard being a mommy in this Pinterest generation. There are so many good ideas posted on the social network site that a gal can get overwhelmed seeing what everyone else is doing for their kids and homes and neighbors. And the pricey dresses and baubles that we see there. Oy! A mommy might have to get a second …or third… job so she can get some, too! And be like the other mommies who have it all.
Well, I’m here to tell you that having it all is a sham. We can’t do every activity, make dinner for every sick neighbor, call our mother every day, and still have time to carve a path through the toys in the living room and brush our teeth.
Relax! Whether you feel like it or not, you’re a good mom. Each of your kids is a perfect match for you as a guide through life. What your kids need from you is eye contact, affection, and to know that you’ll be back when you leave them. {That one they have to learn from experience.} They also need a mommy who respects herself as much as she respects them (and her husband.) So when you plan their play-dates, arrange them with like-minded, inspiring moms. You’ll see you’re not alone.
Sometimes you’re going to lose your cool. You’re even going to yell. Forgive yourself, apologize to the kids, and move on.
Have confidence in your mothering abilities and realize that no one does all of the great activities she posts on Pinterest. If she’s trying, then something is going undone…maybe her mind.
An ah-ha quote you've seen tells it all….Don’t compare your behind-the-scenes to other people’s highlight  reel. (Pastor Steven Furtick)


No comments:

Post a Comment