When I was 40, I had the great blessing of becoming Grandma Debbie. At the time I was still raising my own kids. My daughters Jae and Robyn were only seven and four when Kirstie, my first granddaughter, was born. But having almost overlapping families added to the fun! As of October 2012, Dave and I have been blessed with 14 grandkids. They are ~ Kirstie(1994) ~ Nic(1994) ~ Kyle(1996) ~ Christopher(1999) ~ Josh(1999) ~ Ethan(2005) ~ Owen(2007) ~ Shelby(2009) ~ Jaxon(2009) ~ Ezekiel(2010) ~ Braden(2010)~ MacKenzie(2012)~ Quinn(2012)~ Cannon(2012) We’re pretty sure there will be a few more. Jae & Sean are just getting started and Robyn & Andrew are biding their time. Another blessing ~ I get to spend a lot of time with my grandkids. Most live in my hometown and the others are just a few hours away. I’d like to share my adventures as Grandma Debbie here and maybe you can share your adventures, too. I’m always up for learning new ways to have fun with the kids!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hanging with Zeke

Monday evening Marisa brought Zeke over to hang out while she lined up the Ketchum family near our yard and shot them. Don’t cringe. The Ketchums are my daughter Amy and her family ~ husband Jeremy, daughters Kirstie and Kyle, and sons Josh and Jaxon ~ so it’s perfectly fine for Marisa to shoot them.

Did I mention that Marisa is a professional photographer? So is Amy, but she can’t shoot her own family very easily, so she asked Marisa to do the honors. {Gotta say....another of my daughters, Annette, is also a professional photographer but she’s in Irvine so Amy didn’t ask her.}

Back to Zeke... He’s almost one now and starting to toddle. He’s also honing many other big boy skills like feeding himself with a spoon, waving Bye-Bye, and throwing.

His dad, my son Nick, was an excellent thrower. By the time he was three we thought he would somehow find a way to turn it into a money-making occupation before he was old enough for a worker’s permit. At least twice a day I had to tell him, “Man, if you have to throw something please go down to the corral and throw rocks!” {There weren’t any horses in the corral so it was quite safe.} Nick finally out grew his pre-occupation with throwing when he was five and started a new habit....walking on his hands, but I’ll save that for another time.

Back to Zeke....again.... It was just past dinnertime and nearing bedtime when he arrived so he wasn’t quite his usual chipper self. I dug around the toy drawer and found some balls for him to play with. Maddie was here and joined Zeke on the floor to play “catch”. At 11 months old, Zeke’s got a great aim! He can throw a ball right to you more than half the time.



Play time lasted more than half an hour before he realized, with a heartbreakingly cute lower lip pout, that Mom wasn’t here. His last 10 minutes were spent in Grandma’s lap with occasional lusty wails. But as soon as Mom walked it he was happy again.

Even when they’re crying, I’m happy to spend time with these treasures the Lord has added to my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment