When I was 40, I had the great blessing of becoming Grandma Debbie. At the time I was still raising my own kids. My daughters Jae and Robyn were only seven and four when Kirstie, my first granddaughter, was born. But having almost overlapping families added to the fun! As of October 2012, Dave and I have been blessed with 14 grandkids. They are ~ Kirstie(1994) ~ Nic(1994) ~ Kyle(1996) ~ Christopher(1999) ~ Josh(1999) ~ Ethan(2005) ~ Owen(2007) ~ Shelby(2009) ~ Jaxon(2009) ~ Ezekiel(2010) ~ Braden(2010)~ MacKenzie(2012)~ Quinn(2012)~ Cannon(2012) We’re pretty sure there will be a few more. Jae & Sean are just getting started and Robyn & Andrew are biding their time. Another blessing ~ I get to spend a lot of time with my grandkids. Most live in my hometown and the others are just a few hours away. I’d like to share my adventures as Grandma Debbie here and maybe you can share your adventures, too. I’m always up for learning new ways to have fun with the kids!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday Dinner

Sundays are Family Dinner day. For us, that can mean as many as 30 people or as few as two, on those rare occasions that it’s just me and Dave for a cozy dinner. That only happens about once a year.

We gather here at the Haasienda, at Nick and Marisa’s house, or at Amy and Jeremy’s. Sometimes Nick dons his Jocko’s apron and grills {his chicken is out of this world!}, or Jeremy will cook up a mixed grill, and sometimes the women cook. Every so often we order take out. But we are all together as often as possible.

{Let me get this out of the way ~ Dave and I are happily married and share the Haasienda, but for some reason the kids have always called this “Mom’s house” so that’s what we call it too. I think they’ll be calling it Mom’s house long after I die.}

Tonight all the locals came to my place. That’s just over half the family. Even Maddie showed up! She’s Jae’s True Friend and one of our honorary daughters. There was plenty of horsing around and lots of noise! I even got to see Zeke take a few tentative steps. It won’t be long till he’s running outside with the others!

Left to right ~ Zeke, Kyle, Josh, Owen, Ethan, Kirstie, Jax


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ethan and Maddie being goofy

For dinner I made Girl Scout Tacos. I can hear you thinking, “What in the world are Girl Scout Tacos?” Well, I’m glad you asked!

Brown a pound of ground beef with some taco seasoning. When the meat is cooked all the way, throw in two or three cans of refried beans and mix it up really well until it’s nice and hot. Put a few scoops of this on top of some tortilla chips you’ve spread out on a plate and top with your favorite taco fillings ~ cheese, tomato, onion, lettuce, avocado or guacamole, maybe some salsa and sour cream. I more than doubled this tonight.



For dessert, Amy made Monkey Bread. If you want the recipe let me know and I’ll ask her. It's a gooey confection that is definitely not in the health food realm. Heck, it’s not even on the same planet as health food! But everyone seems to like it....

No comments:

Post a Comment