When I was 40, I had the great blessing of becoming Grandma Debbie. At the time I was still raising my own kids. My daughters Jae and Robyn were only seven and four when Kirstie, my first granddaughter, was born. But having almost overlapping families added to the fun! As of October 2012, Dave and I have been blessed with 14 grandkids. They are ~ Kirstie(1994) ~ Nic(1994) ~ Kyle(1996) ~ Christopher(1999) ~ Josh(1999) ~ Ethan(2005) ~ Owen(2007) ~ Shelby(2009) ~ Jaxon(2009) ~ Ezekiel(2010) ~ Braden(2010)~ MacKenzie(2012)~ Quinn(2012)~ Cannon(2012) We’re pretty sure there will be a few more. Jae & Sean are just getting started and Robyn & Andrew are biding their time. Another blessing ~ I get to spend a lot of time with my grandkids. Most live in my hometown and the others are just a few hours away. I’d like to share my adventures as Grandma Debbie here and maybe you can share your adventures, too. I’m always up for learning new ways to have fun with the kids!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Saturday with Owen and Jaxon, Part 2

Lunch time...
Feeding the grandkids used to be a challenge for me. I usually avoid wheat, (except when we make sour dough bread) dairy, and packaged foods. I have found I feel a lot better when I keep my diet more “natural”. I used to try to feed the kids “My Way” but that resulted in hungry kids. And a hungry kid is often a cranky kid. Not a good thing to associate a visit to Grandma’s with. So I have made a few compromises. I buy chicken nuggets, softer bread, white tortillas, and even some sweets {horrors!} but I draw the line at Kraft Mac and Cheese and Trix. Lunch on Saturday was chicken nuggets, sliced apples, and almond milk [they even drink that at home]. As I carried his lunch to the living room, Jax looked up at me and began to cry, “Mommy...Mommy....”
I kneeled next to him, wrapping my free arm around his shoulder. “Remember, Mommy’s bye-bye. She’ll be back for you at ni-night time.”
Sniffle, sniffle...
“Do you want to eat first or take a nap first?”
Instead of answering with a word, he wiggled out of my loose hug and walked to meet Owen on the blanket.
We watched Despicable Me while the boys had a carpet picnic. Jax ate slowly, sometimes sliding the catsup-dipped nugget into his mouth by way of his cheek. After a full morning this little fellow was tired. After lunch, and a swipe across his face with a damp cloth, he snuggled next to me on the sofa and within minutes was fast asleep. He stayed that way for three hours!

While Jaxon napped, it was time for Owen and Grandma Time. Like all good employees, he deserved a break from his labors. Owen chose to play WiiFit. {I really need to find a few more Wii games suitable for the younger set.} Owen’s favorites are the balance games. He particularly likes the Tilt City game and delights in dropping the balls into the wrong cups! [If you want to hear a most infectious laugh, team up with him on that one!] He also likes the Obstacle Course and Bird’s-eye Bull’s-eye, where you flap your arms to make your Mii fly over an ocean with scattered targets to land on.

Jax woke from his nap, surprisingly pleasant {not asking for Mom as I expected}, and hungry again. Snack time was smoothie time! A great snack for the kids to help make. I pulled out the frozen fruits {buy bunches of ripe bananas, peel, cut into chunks, lay out in a single layer in a Ziploc & pop into the freezer} and started filling the blender canister. In went strawberries, blueberries and bananas. Then I covered it all with orange juice. “Well, I think I don’t want a smoothie” from Owen. I learned he didn’t like the bananas and orange juice in his smoothies. We poured off the oj, dug out the bananas, and poured in some “soy-o milk”. That’s how Owen likes his smoothies so that’s how Jax wanted his, too. Yummy!

More playing outdoors, dinner, a change into jammies, and another movie {Tangled, Jax’s current favorite} and it was time for the boys to go home. When Jax saw his mom, you could see his body relax with a “Grandma was right!” and a {BIG} SMILE!

Yep, I’d do it again, with or without Owen’s help....but I’d rather do it with!

No comments:

Post a Comment